Hello there

Instagram

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Review | Holika Holika Oil Queen Cotton Primer


I have had this primer sitting around in my drawer for quite a while and when I finally finished my Face It Velvet Skin Primer from The Face Shop, I decided to finally unbox this and to start using it. Now, I don't typically use primers every single day and if I do use a primer, I typically apply it only on my forehead and on my nose. Just thought I would throw this out there at the start of the post.



This sebum control primer controls overflow of sebum and changes the skin from an oily skin to a soft skin,

Directions:
After base skin care, softly apply, focusing on parts with sebum.


Straight up, this primer has a picture of the cutest little cotton puff on it with a little crown on it. How cute? It comes in a white plastic bottle with a pump on the top which is used for dispensing the product. I love products that come with a pump because it is super hygienic, although I have to say that the opaque bottle does make it hard to judge how much product is left. The bottle itself fits into my palm and isn't big or bulky which is great if you are travelling.

It contains SPF 15 which is lovely because I never say no to SPF. I don't typically rely on SPF from make up products though, I always apply a sun block before any makeup products. This bottle contains 30ml which I feel is the norm.


The product itself is a white, translucent liquid which is very watery. A little goes a long way with this primer! It spreads very easy (drips even) on the skin but despite how watery it is, it takes a little effort to properly blend into the skin. I feel like more often than not, it just sits on my skin and refuses to be blended in properly.

Another thing to note is that it does leave a white cast on my face which isn't flattering at all. I have tried using lesser product but it still leaves a white cast. The white cast doesn't show after applying foundation on top of it so I wouldn't recommend using the primer on its own without following up with a foundation of some sort.


There is a scent to it, something like a cross between a fruity scent and baby powder. It smells really great actually but if you are sensitive to scents than this is something to take note of. The scent does disappear after applying the primer on the skin.

It gives a matte, powdery finish which is great because I don't like products with a sticky finish. Despite the matte finish, I don't find it emphasising any dry patches on my skin like some other primers do.

I find that this primer does a decent job in controlling oil and thus allowing my makeup to last slightly longer than it would without this primer. My T-Zone typically starts getting shiny around the 3-4 hour mark and this primer manages to prolong that to about 5-6 hours. If you use this in a place with a less humid climate than in Singapore, I believe you can probably get it to control oil for a longer period of time. But if you live in Singapore like I do, and have oily skin, I don't think this will do much in controlling oil.


Overall:

PROS:

  • Contains SPF
  • Comes with a pump
  • Cute and clean packaging
  • Pretty affordable
  • Spreads easily
  • Matte, powdery finish
  • Non sticky/greasy
  • Fruity, baby powdery scent
  • Does not emphasise dry patches


CONS:

  • Leaves a white cast on the face
  • Doesn't blend very well
  • Does not control oil very well


While this primer does help to control oil (slightly) and prolong my makeup (slightly as well), I am not a fan of the white cast it leaves behind. I also don't like how it doesn't blend properly even though it is so watery, it's a contradiction which I cannot understand. It is a decent primer, I wouldn't say I hate it, but I wouldn't repurchase this either. I guess the search for a holy grail primer is still on and this definitely isn't it.


No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...