Hello there

Instagram

Monday, April 4, 2016

Review | SilkyGirl Go Matte Lip Colour


Since I will be travelling quite a bit in the next few months, I didn't want to leave this space empty so in a bid to ensure that there will be posts periodically, I'm on a roll trying new products and doing up the reviews for them on this blog so please anticipate :>

I bought these Go Matte Lip Colours from the brand SilkyGirl quite a while back when they were first launched because I saw so many reviews of these lip colours everywhere and I was psyched to check them out for myself. Since Guardian (or was it Watsons?) was having a sale, I managed to snag 3 of them for the price of 2. So let's get to it. 



This matte Lipcolor is formulated with Shea Butter, Safflower oil and Papaya extract to moisturise, nourish and smooth lips. With its long-lasting light texture, you can now go about your day comfortably, and confidently. 
  • Glides easily 
  • Long-lasting 
  • No Fragrance 
  • No carmine and free from animal testing.

(Credit: x)

Let's talk packaging. The lip colours come in your typical plastic tube with a transparent bit in the center where you can see the shade. The coloured sticker with the name and shade of the lip colour is pasted at the bottom and it is a pretty close match to the actual lip colour which is really convenient.

There is a very slight scent to the lip colours (it smells a bit like crayon?) but I don't actually smell it when I apply it on my lips. I only detected it when I sniffed the lip stick itself.

The 3 shades that I got is 03 Siren Red, 05 Sassy Orange and 06 Exotic Wine.


The first colour I got is 03 Siren Red and it is your classic deep red colour. I've really been into red lips this few months for some weird reason so I predict that I'm going to get a lot of use out of this lip stick!


The second shade is 05 Sassy Orange and it is a bright orange. I used to be a huge fan of orange lipsticks because I like how it has become a pretty common shade, but yet it isn't that common either because not many people actually do orange lips (in Singapore at least).


The last colour I have is in 06 Exotic Wine. This is a mid-tone purple, plum colour. Purple lip sticks are a new found love of mine and I've been experimenting with purple colours and really liking them. I can't wait to start using this colour more often!


These are the hand swatches of the lip colours side by side. I don't know if you can tell but the colour pay off is amazing and they come off really pigmented. I am really pleased with how the colours turned out! 


These lip colours also apply really smoothly on my lips. Considering how they are supposed to be matte colours, I was amazed that they don't feel drying on the lips at all. My lips are usually like the Sahara Desert and they act up on me ALL the time but I've worn these lip colours for 6 hours without a lip balm and while they don't feel moisturising, they aren't drying as well. 

The lasting power is amazing. I drink a lot of water at work and I noticed that at about the 3 hour mark, the colour wasn't as bright as when I first applied it but the colour stayed on my lips for about 6 hours before I had to reapply. I would say that is pretty impressive stuff. I also noticed that this lip colour transferred a lot less than most other lipsticks.

One thing to note is that the lip colours do not apply truly matte. I had to blot my lips to remove the sheen before the lip colour became matte. 

Overall:

PROS:
  • Decently priced ($12.90/lip colour)
  • Pigmented
  • Lasts for 3 hours before fading slightly and for 6 hours before reapplication is needed
  • Applies smoothly
  • Coloured sticker on the bottom matches the actual colour of lipstick
  • Doesn't transfer much
  • Not drying (but not moisturising either)
  • Feels comfortable on the lips


CONS: 
  • Slight scent of crayon
  • Not moisturising (but not drying either)
  • Not truly matte (have to blot your lips)
  • Not very large range of colours


I have never really tried products from SilkyGirl before and this is probably the first product that I have properly tried out and I must say that for a drugstore brand, I am pretty impressed with the quality of this lip colour, especially the pigmentation and the lasting power. I certainly did not expect my lips to be this agreeable with a matte lip colour.

I think this range of lipsticks are worth checking out, although you may find the range of shades lacking.

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...