Hello there

Instagram

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Review | The Face Shop Face It Velvet Skin Primer


I work pretty long hours and I don't usually bring along makeup to touch up because I can't be fussed with it so having makeup which lasts long on my face is something that I always look out for. If my foundation isn't long lasting, then I'll look for face primers which can help my makeup last longer.

After finishing my primer from Lancome, I was on the look out for another one and I found a lot of people raving about how good the Face It Velvet Skin Primer from The Face Shop was so I got my sister to purchase it for me just to try it out.




It claims to be a primer that covers pores and fine lines and creates a smooth skin texture without unevenness.

Uneven skin surface is covered to enable the skin texture to appear smooth and clean, while sebum control powder contains excessive sebum inside pores to prevent sheen and enables makeup to remain supple for an extended period. Non-sticky, oil-free formula makes each use velvety-light and refreshing.

*Excessive amount may make subsequent application of makeup clump. Dab lightly as if filling up pores or fine lines for greater effect.

Directions: Before makeup, dispense an adequate amount and apply evenly to the skin. Then, pat lightly with the palms for full absorption.


Firstly, the packaging. I don't know if you noticed but there's a circle on the bottle of primer with silvery little crosses on it, and the box has a circle without silvery crosses on. I find matching packaging like this really cute so I appreciate the little touch.

The primer comes in a short cream coloured bottle with a pump on it which allows you to control the exact amount of primer you need. I typically use 1/2-3/4 pump for my whole face because it is recommended that you don't apply too much.


It actually has a slight scent to it, it smells a bit powdery but it isn't very noticeable and I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't sniffing around for a scent.

The primer isn't totally transparent and is slightly cloudy but when you blend it out, it doesn't leave a white cast or shine on my face. It pretty much disappears and leaves a matte finish which I'm not a huge fan of because I like a dewy skin a whole lot more than a matte finish.


It does do what it says it does which is to even out skin texture and makes my skin feel really smooth which I like. In terms of smoothing out fine lines and pores though, I don't see much of an effect. I don't really have a lot of fine lines (yet) so I can't comment on that but I do have pretty large pores on my nose and I don't feel that this primer helps to fill them out so that my nose looks pore-less.

I also feel that it does nothing to control sebum or to help prolong makeup. I have a somewhat oily t-zone and I start to see shine after about 4-5 hours which isn't that long a time to control oil especially when my face isn't that oily to begin with. I also feel that at the end of the day, my face looks the same whether or not I apply this primer so I would say it doesn't help to noticeably prolong my makeup.


Overall:

PROS:

  • Skin feels smooth after application
  • Comes with a pump
  • Oil-free
  • Does not cause break outs
  • Comes with a slight powdery scent
CONS:
  • Doesn't even out pores (can't comment about fine lines)
  • Doesn't prolong makeup
  • Matte finish

I feel that this was a huge let down for me. It isn't that it is a bad product but rather, it did nothing for me. Everything I look out for in a primer, it didn't satisfy. It didn't help to even out the pores on my nose, neither did it help my makeup stay for a longer period of time. It just made my skin smoother to the touch which I don't exactly need because I think my skin is smooth enough as it is (not bragging but just saying it like it is).

Maybe it just didn't work for me but there are a lot of people who claims that this is their holy grail primer and one of my friends also really likes this but I'm just sad to say that it didn't work out for me. I'll still continue using this because I don't believe in wasting product but I wouldn't repurchase this.



No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...