Hello there

Instagram

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Work-Life Balance Revelation

Recently I had a revelation whereby I realised that I really need not push myself so hard all the time. This, is a huge revelation for some one who is a major workaholic.

I used to think that any time not spent working is time wasted, unless it's spent studying. This has resulted in both my family and my boyfriend complaining about how little they see me and how little time we spend together. All these while, I brushed aside their comments because I justified it to myself that they don't understand the importance I place on my financial independence. Lately though, I'm starting to realise that maybe it is true that I really don't need to push myself so hard. Maybe a little less money is okay if it means spending more time with loved ones.

I know this seems like something really trivial to the general population, that spending time with loved ones is definitely more important than working so hard, but it definitely didn't seem that way to me. I worked so hard and pushed myself so hard that it became a bad habit where I always have to be busy, I always have to be doing something. Even when I'm sick, you will have a higher probability of finding me at work than at home resting. This is crazy, I know that now, yet it didn't seem so just a week ago.

I haven't had a proper date with SH ever since school started more than a month ago. Literally, every day that I'm not at work, I'm at school. Yet I took 2 days off just this week from work just because I felt like it (and for other reasons I don't want to state here) and it felt liberating. Yes, I had classes on both nights but just having the time to spend at home with my dad, and my bunny, and to have ample time to revise through everything I've been taught is such an amazing feeling. I feel... free. Or at least more free than I have felt in a very long time.

After this week's crazy work schedule (because of the long holiday weekend), I'm going to take more time off from work to just chill at home and take my time revising. If my family wants to go out with me, I will make time for them. If SH is free to go out with me, of course I'll do that as well. This work-life balance took its time to hit me but now that I've realised that I do need a balance in my life, I'm going to embrace it with all I've got.

And on this happier note, I leave all of you. Happy 50th birthday Singapore! I'm extremely proud to be a Singaporean. Always did, always am, always will be. x

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...