Hello there

Instagram

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

My Morning Self Care Routine

With so much more time on our hands these days, I find myself trying to take care of my skin better. I have so many lotions and potions sitting around at home, what better time to do try new ones and rediscover old ones than now when we're all stuck at home?

Let me walk you through a typical morning routine for me right now.

Cleansing

The first thing I do every morning is to cleanse. I know there's a whole debate on whether using a cleanser in the morning is the "right" thing to do or not. Honestly, I just do whatever I feel my skin needs the following day.

Some times when I use a heavier sleeping pack of moisturiser at night, I wake up with a film on my skin and I don't like leaving it there so that's when I reach for my cleanser to wash that layer away. 

The cleanser I'm currently using right now is Huxley's Cleansing Gel; Be Clean, Be Moist (what a name haha). I like how it's very lightweight, removes any sebum or layer left on my skin overnight, and doesn't strip my skin, leaving it overly dry afterwards. That being said, I don't think it's holy grail material - I like it but I don't love it. Also, I really don't like how strong the scent is. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice scent typical of all Huxley's products but I just don't like how overpowering it is.





On days when I feel that my skin is fine and I don't need a cleanser, I just splash some water on my face then pat it dry with a towel. Whether it is necessary to use a cleanser or not in the morning, just listen to your skin and adjust your routine according.

Toners

I have honestly rediscovered my love for toners after going through a phase of disliking them because I wasn't using ones with the right texture for my skin type. I have combination-oily, acne-prone skin. I find that my skin takes to lighter textures than heavier, thicker ones and for a period of time, the ones that I were using happened to be thicker ones which led to me just stopping them altogether.

Right after cleansing, I typically reach for Benton's Snail Bee High Content Skin which is super lightweight and feels exactly like water. My skin just drinks this up and it doesn't feel heavy or sticky on my skin at all. I am almost done with this bottle and that tells you how much I've been using it. I'll usually do 1-2 layers of this toner before moving on to another one.


The next toner I use is Dear Klairs' Supple Preparation Facial Toner and this has been one I rotate in and out of my routine for many years. It has more viscosity than the Benton one, and can become heavy on the skin if you use too much of it or too many layers of it but if you have dry skin, your skin is going to love it. It is definitely hydrating on the skin and applying a thin layer helps prep my skin for the next few products I layer on it. If you are sensitive to essential oils and fragrance, they have released a new fragrance-free version and you can get it here.


Sheet Masks

Unlike all my other skin care routines, of which I have posted many of them already (you can see some of my skin care routines here, here, here, and here), I don't typically do a sheet mask in the day time because I'm usually rushing to get ready and out of the house. But now, with more time on my hands, I like to take my mornings a bit slower, and to pamper myself with a sheet mask.

I used to use A'pieu's Daily Sheet Mask in Black Tea every morning and what I like about it is that it's super quick and easy to use, and because it comes in a box, I don't feel like I'm killing the environment with excessive packaging. I've since finished it so now I'm on to any sheet masks that are just lying around at home.

I am fully aware that sheet masks generate a lot of waste and I probably won't find myself repurchasing in the future but I do have tons of them sitting around so I'm on a mission to finish them all. I'm also thinking of doing a 30 day sheet mask challenge where I do one sheet mask every single day for 30 days. If you're interested in knowing how it goes or if it's something you want me to report back here about, do let me know in the comments below!

Serums

I have always been a lover of serums, and I am not hesitant of layering them up as well. On a lazy day, I'll skip this, just cleanse, tone and moisturise but most days, like 99% of the time, I'll use at least 1 in my routine, if not 2. 

The serum I use the most these days Ma:nyo Factory's Galactomy Niacin Essence. I have mentioned many times before that I have a lot of pigmentation on my skin, leftover from the many hormonal breakouts I have had throughout the years so I always try to incorporate something brightening into my routine to (hopefully) help lighten the pigmentation and to brighten my skin tone. This serum is super watery and lightweight, has no fragrance, sinks quickly into the skin and doesn't leave any sticky or oily residue, and that is on top of the layers of toner I've previously applied.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it has stopped my acne or to lighten my pigmentation marks but I will say that my skin tone has never looked brighter, and my pigmentation looks less red after I started using this. It also doesn't irritate or sting my skin the way certain brightening serums do.


If I do have active breakouts on my skin, I apply a thin layer of Skin & Lab's Dr Spot Clear Don't Touch Trouble on top. Honestly, I'm almost done with this tube and I haven't really seen much of a difference after using it but since it's sitting on my vanity, I wanted to finish it up before trying something else. It's lightweight, smells great and I genuinely enjoy using it, I just don't see any results from it.



Creams

I'll be very honest with you - I am a skin care junkie. This means that I have way too many skin care products, more than the average person needs. This also means that I have to carefully look through and document my products to make sure I don't overlook their expiry dates and waste the products. Right now, I have about 3 creams open and I rotate between them simply because they're going to expire within the next 6 months. 

The one I find myself reaching for the most in the day time though, is one gifted to me by my dad. (Yes I know! My dad takes care of his skin as well!) He passed me a tube of Apskin's Face Cream (that's literally the name) and while I am not entirely sure of the science behind this cream, I've been liking it quite a bit. It is super watery, spreads very easily on my skin, is lightweight yet hydrating enough. My makeup sits nicely on top of this (which is definitely a very important factor for me). 

I haven't been using this for a very long time so I can't attest to it's effects but I like how it feels on my skin and how my makeup applies. The only thing I don't like about this products is that because of how watery it is, if I'm not careful, so much of it comes out from the tube, especially if you've been leaving the tube standing up with the opening at the bottom. I do have to turn it upside down then slowly squeeze some out.


Sun Protection

I am very sure I don't have to harp on how important sun protection is for your skin. I never go a day without applying sun protection, even if I never leave the house at all.

The sun protection I am using at the moment is Missha's All Around Safe Block Mild Sun SPF 30 PA++. This actually isn't my favourite sun protection. It applies slightly thick which means it doesn't blend that easily (although it isn't terrible by any means), it does leave a white cast on my skin which means I can't head out with this if I'm not putting any makeup on. It leaves a matte finish which may be good for people who have oily skin.

Because of the lower SPF,  I do find myself reapplying it throughout the day compared to other sun protections with higher SPFs. While I don't find this to be a terrible sun protection, I don't particularly like it either and I probably won't be repurchasing this. Missha has another sun protection in this series and I like it a lot more because it's more watery, spreads easier and doesn't leave a white cast at all. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head (it's currently sitting at my husband's place) but I will update this space when I find out what it is. I would definitely recommend that over this one.

I don't find this to be a terrible sun block just that I prefer others over this one.


And that's all folks! You don't have to use the same products I do, or even the same number of steps I do but I hope you're all taking care of yourself and finding the time to love your skin as well. Stay safe in this difficult times and I am sure we will definitely make it through as stronger human beings! x

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...