Hello there

Instagram

Monday, June 17, 2019

My night time skincare routine

Ever since my skin had a freak out a couple of weeks ago, I've switched up quite a bit of my skin care products in a bid to repair my skin barrier and to maintain it so I thought I would do an updated night time skin care routine just to introduce all of the products I've been using (and loving).

(Credit: x)

I've always been an advocate of the double cleansing method, and these days I do it even if I do not wear makeup because not all sunscreens can be washed off with just a water-based cleanser. But before I get into that, when I do wear eye makeup, I reach for The Face Shop's Herb Day Lip & Eye Makeup Remover to clean off all the mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow off my eyelids. I know you technically can use a oil cleanser to remove eye makeup but I hate when it gets into my eyes and leaves a film that's super gross and blurring so I usually opt for an eye makeup remover instead. Like all other eye makeup removers, this one requires you to shake it to mix both layers together, douse a cotton pad with this, hold it over your eyes for 5-10 seconds, then gently swipe the eye makeup away. This doesn't have a smell, doesn't sting my eyes, removes all of my eye makeup effectively and is pretty affordable so I really like using it.

(Credit: x)

The next step is to go in with an oil cleanser to cleanse any face makeup or sunscreen on my face. The current one I'm using is Innisfree's Green Tea Moisture Cleansing Oil. (Since I've purchased this, Innisfree has revamped their whole green tea line so you can get the latest version of the cleansing oil HERE.) While I don't think this cleansing oil is holy grail standards, I think it does a decent job at removing all my base makeup and sunscreen so I would recommend this to anyone looking for a basic oil cleanser without any special frills. 

(Credit: x)

A water-based facial cleanser I have been enjoying using is NEOGEN's Real Fresh Foam in Green Tea. When I first started using this, I was afraid that it wouldn't remove the oiliness left behind from my oil cleanser but boy were my worries unfounded .This foam cleanser definitely cleanses my face properly without leaving it stripped of moisture, doesn't sting my eyes, and doesn't cause any irritation on my skin. I also like how this cleanser comes with a pump that dispenses really thick, luxurious foam, one pump is really more than enough for your whole face and neck area. Green tea is also known to be packed with anti-oxidants which really benefits the skin by protecting it from free radicals. If you have sensitive skin though, this cleanser may not be for you. I find that it does sting a little on the areas of my face that are more sensitive if I leave this on for more than 2 minutes (the duration my foreo takes to properly cleanse my face).

(Credit: x)

These days I've really been loving applying clay masks on my face. I used to do so many years back and I don't remember why I stopped using them but they are back in my routine again. I love I'm From's Volcanic Mask because my skin feels so much cleaner and softer whenever I use this. I apply a light layer over freshly cleansed skin avoiding my eye and mouth area, leave on for 15 minutes, then wash off with lukewarm water. This does leave my face feeling slightly tight after using but nothing that a quick spritz of toner cannot fix. I don't know if its just my wishful thinking but I do feel that my pores look smaller and I get lesser black heads and clogged pores if I use this once a week.

(Credit: x)

I have yet to finish my Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner so I'm still using it as my chemical exfoliant right after I finish cleansing. This is very gentle on my skin and doesn't irritate it at all, is moisturising, absorbs quickly into my skin and doesn't leave any sticky residue at all. While I don't notice it performing miracles on my skin, I do notice my skin becoming more clogged and bumpy when I do not use this. I've got 1/3 of the bottle to finish and while I do like it, I also can't wait for it to finish so that I can try something new.

(Credit: x)

On days when I prefer a physical exfoliant, I find myself reaching for NEOGEN's Lemon Gauze Peeling because this is both a physical and chemical exfoliant. It's really easy and convenient to use, just use the criss-cross gauze side first to exfoliate your face gently, then flip over to the softer quilted side to pick up any debris left over. Do remember to wash your face after using this! I don't use this very often though because I find that the exfoliating side is actually pretty rough on the skin, even if I use very little pressure on it so I can only use this on days when my face is not sensitive at all and when I have very little active breakouts. As much as I do enjoy using this, I wouldn't recommend it to people with sensitive skin at all.

(Credit: x)

I like layering up my toners to provide ample hydration for my skin and one of the toners that I have been loving for a very long time is Klair's Supple Preparation Facial Toner. I've finished a couple of bottles of this toner already and I do have more backups in my collection because this is one toner that rarely ever fails me. I love how 2-3 layers of this is enough for me to skip on serums and ampoules on most days (although I'm extra enough to apply serums anyway). This is super hydrating on the skin, balances the pH of my skin and is great for a DIY mask pack if your skin needs some extra loving. I do want to point out that I can't use this toner when my skin is super sensitive though. It did sting my skin when my skin barrier was damaged so if you're looking for an alternative that is great to use when you have sensitive skin, I really enjoyed using Mario Badescu's Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater.

(Credit: x)

Another toner that I have really been enjoying using is Innisfree's Blueberry Rebalancing Skin. I believe I've talked about this toner quite a few times so I'm not going to harp on it. (You can read my review on this toner HERE.) I love using this toner because it smells great, is hydrating and is definitely okay to use even when my skin is sensitive. As a layering toner or as a mask pack, this works wonders.

(Credit: x)

I don't only like to layer toners, I also love to layer up my serums (depending on what my skin feels like and what I think it needs). One of the serums I have absolutely been loving is Huxley's Secret of the Sahara Essence; Grab Water. It's lightweight, hydrating, cooling on the skin, and smells divine. My skin drinks this up so quickly and it doesn't leave any residue at all which makes it great for layering. There's honestly nothing to dislike about this and everything to love.

(Credit: x)

Another serum that I have been loving is Innisfree's Tangerine Vita C Serum. (I did a whole dedicated post about this serum and you can read it HERE.) It's hydrating, lightweight, and brightens up my complexion. I haven't noticed a drastic lightening of my pigmentation yet but then again, nothing I've used so far has really done so.

(Credit: x)

I've recently started incorporating facial oils back into my routine after my skin barrier was damaged. I find that oils are a good way to moisturise the face without having to layer a lot of creams on. The facial oil I have been using is Innisfree's Soybean Energy Oil. This oil is great for strengthening the skin barrier and to add radiance back into your skin. It's very lightweight, absorbs quickly and has a very light but citrusy scent and if you know me, you know I love citrus scents. I don't use this every single night but when I do, I always wake up to clearer and brighter skin.

(Credit: x)

I have already used up 2 tubs of this eye cream and I'm glad to say that I bought another one as a backup because this eye cream has been a favourite of mine for a very long time. I've talked about Innisfree's Orchid Eye Cream so many times that this really doesn't need any introduction at all. It's lightweight but intensely moisturising, yet doesn't cause milia to form, and it just does the job as an eye cream should. I'm in my late 20s and I don't notice fine lines around my eyes at all and this is the only eye cream I'm using at the moment and have been for a while so I can safely say it is definitely due to this. (I know Innisfree repackaged this eye cream recently but I haven't tried to newer one to see if there is a difference.)

(Credit: x)

If you read the post on how I repaired my damaged skin barrier (you can read it HERE), you'll know that this is a product that has absolutely changed my skincare game. This Klairs Midnight Blue Calming Cream instantly calmed and soothed my irritated skin and had my skin back to normal with 2-3 days. It's also non-sticky and greasy so I can easily layer other creams on top of this one should I need to. Now that my skin barrier is back to normal, I don't use this twice a day, every day, but I'll use this maybe once every 2-3 days just to maintain my skin barrier. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who has a damaged skin barrier. (Klairs has since repackaged this cream into a tube but I'm still using the older one which is in a tub.)

(Credit: x)

Another cream that I've been loving is also from Klairs and it is their Rich Moist Soothing Cream. This cream is very lightweight yet super hydrating on the skin and doesn't leave any residue on the skin which is great for the day time if you're applying makeup on top. I also love how it comes in a tube which makes applying this really easy, no spatulas needed. 

(Credit: x)

And lastly, I also reintroduced sleeping masks back into my routine. The sleeping mask of the moment is COSRX's Ultimate Moisturising Honey Overnight Mask. Honey as a skincare ingredient has always been a popular one but there is a rising wave of popularity for propolis specifically and this sleeping mask contains more than 87% of propolis extract and natural beeswax which got me intrigued. I've always wanted to incorporate honey into my routine because it is known for its naturally anti-inflammatory properties as well as being extremely hydrating on the skin. I've used this a couple of times, and I really like how it feels. It isn't as sticky and heavy as you would think it is because of the word "honey" but it is really hydrating and my skin always looks plumper and clearer the next day. 

And with that, I present to you my complete night time skin care routine. I know this post is very heavy on products but do bear in mind that I don't use every single product, every single day. I pick and choose whatever I feel that my skin needs that day. I'm thinking of doing a dedicated post on all the masks that I've been using (and loving), so stay tune for that!

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...