Hello there

Instagram

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Review | Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles

When I first started out using makeup, concealers were the furthest thing on my mind. I wanted the brows, the eyelashes and a good foundation base because I had loads to correct on my face and wouldn't it be easier to just whack on a high coverage foundation that does the trick? 

However, with time, I realised that using a high coverage foundation wasn't always the be-all-end-all way to go. Slapping on a thick layer of foundation can sometimes look (and feel) very heavy and unnatural which isn't the best look for an everyday wear. That was when I started researching concealers to spot conceal so that I could use a more natural foundation on my face. Thus began my journey to find the best concealer to suit my needs.

My 2 main skin issues is spots (and their scars) as well as dark eye circles. The concealer that I'll be reviewing today targets the second issue more than the first one. As the name Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles, it aims to brighten the under-eye area to "erase" away any dark eye circles you may have.



You may be asking what this concealer is about. This super-concentrated treatment concealer features a micro-corrector applicator (the sponge tip) to help instantly erase dark circles and fine lines. It helps to make the eye area appear more radiant and refreshed.

Directions:
1. Twist collar of the Micro-Corrector Applicator in the direction of arrows until the concealer is visible on the sponge (it may take a few turns on the first use).
2. Using the applicator, apply concealer directly to the under-eye area, blending in an outwards motion.
3. For extreme dark circles, apply the Neutralizer shade under concealer shade.
4. To add a luminous touch, apply the Brightener shade to the inner corner of eyes, cheek and brow bones and, bridge of the nose.

This concealer contains 0.2 fl. oz./6.0 ml.


First off, let's talk about the applicator. Most concealers either come in a liquid form with a doe foot applicator or in a tube form, or in a stick form. This is the first concealer I've used that comes with a sponge tip applicator. Although this applicator is supposed to help to make application easier (it does), I can't help but cringe at how dirty it probably is after a few uses. You can't exactly pluck the sponge out to wash it after every use so I can only imagine how much germs and bacteria is stuck in the sponge but let's move on from this. That being said, while the applicator helps dispense the product easily, it doesn't actually help in blending the product out so that makes the applicator somewhat gimmicky in my books. 

Applicator aside, the product itself is amazing. I bought mine in the shade Fair and it is a little too pink tone for my skin but it works wonders at brightening my skin. I swipe a generous amount under my eye, on the top of my cheek bones and nose bridge, as well as a bit on my chin and forehead area to highlight these areas and my skin looks amazing after that. It spreads very easily on the skin without losing it's brightening properties and blends like a dream.


The concealer is very lightweight both in texture and coverage so don't expect it to conceal major dark eye circles or any spots but it definitely does the trick for brightening up the complexion. It does not crease or cake up on my skin, and it doesn't settle into fine lines as well, a little translucent powder is all I need to set it into place. It lasts a decent amount of time on my skin, about 4-5 hours before my dark eye circles start peeking through but for highlighting my face, it does not budge once I set it and adds so much more definition to my skin. 

The shade fair is perfect for my skin tone but I've been to the Maybelline website and checked that they only have 6 shades, none of them dark enough for people with darker skin tones so unfortunately, if you have tanned/darker-coloured skin and you don't wish to have white under-eye area then this concealer isn't for you.

Overall:

PROS:
  • Travel-friendly
  • Brightens under-eye area
  • Highlights face
  • Spreads easily and blends well
  • Lightweight texture
  • Does not crease or cake
  • Does not settle into fine lines
  • Lasts 4-5 hours on my skin
  • Sets to a matte finish


CONS:
  • Applicator is a bit gimmicky and unhygienic
  • Shade selection is a bit small
  • Light coverage doesn't conceal very dark eye circles


I don't know if I would say this is holy grail material but I do have to say that I really like using this. It really does the trick in brightening up the under-eye area and definitely in highlighting the face but I just wish it didn't come with a sponge applicator. Also, if the coverage was a tad higher, this would probably be perfect but alas, nothing in life is truly perfect is it?

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...