Hello there

Instagram

Thursday, July 14, 2016

UK & Canary Islands Travelogue | Masca Valle


I never get sick of seeing blue skies, and greenery all around. Although I would probably classify myself as a city girl, it feels great seeing nature every once in a while. I feel like it reminds me that there is more than just chasing dreams in a concrete jungle, and every once in a while, being in wide open spaces, or up in the mountains (or even down in valleys), is a reminder that there are things bigger than our problems and worries.

Today, we embarked on our journey to visit Masca Valley which is an amazing place where most people like to take the Masca Walk down to the beach and then take a boat back. Because my parents weren't up to the hike, we drove there more to take in the sights than to really hike.


The roads in Tenerife outside the main towns are pretty steep, winding and can be narrow as well so even though the distance to Masca Valley from where out hotel was isn't very far, it took us quite a while to get to the town of Santiago del Teide and we decided to stop for a quick toilet break and to grab a cup of coffee.

We found this little cafe called Bar Cafeteria El Cafe and it was like stepping into the past. There were little game machines tucked in the corner, snacks and sweets I haven't seen since I was a little kid, and so much booze you can probably hold a party for 50 and get everyone dead drunk. We ordered a cup of coffee with milk (they don't seem to call them caffe lattes there) and it was divine. It was possibly the best cup of coffee I had whilst I was in the Canary Islands.


We spotted a little turn off and there were a few cars parked around the area so being the kaypoh person I am, I asked my parents to stop and see what view it was that got everyone excited. The view was indeed pretty splendid. There was this little rock pile which we managed to clamber onto and the view from the top of the pile was pretty amazing. Photographs make everything look so flat though.


We got to Masca Village just in time for lunch and the area was pretty packed with cars. We wandered around for a bit before deciding to have lunch at Restaurante la Fuente because this restaurant has one of the best views of the valley. The food was hearty and just what we needed after the long drive in.

Tea (1.80€)

Orange Juice (3€)

Roasted Chicken Leg (8.15€)

Vegetable Soup (3.85€)

Chicken Soup (3.85)


We were literally standing right at the edge of a cliff and it was scary standing there but the views there were incredible. I didn't dare stand up and take photos because I was so scared of being blown off, the winds were really strong, so all I did was get my mum to take a picture of me squatting down.


Because we didn't do the hike, we still had a lot of time left to kill so we drove to Garachico and walked along the coast for a bit. The waves were massive that day and it was fascinating to see the waves crash onto the rocks. 

I stood there for a good 10 minutes admiring the spray of the waves every single time a particularly gigantic wave hit the coast.


We then drove back to Puerto de la Cruz and because we were craving kebabs, decided to have just that at La Casa del Kebab. The kebabs here were really delicious by the way! There were huge and packed full of meat and vegetables. I washed it all down with a glass of beer and felt that life really couldn't get any better.

Beer (1.50€)

Mango Fruit Juice (3€)

Doner Kebab (5€)

English Breakfast Tea (1.80€)


After dinner, the pops and I grabbed froyo again because it was that good and then we all headed back to the hotel to rest for the night. It was a pretty amazing day and we were knackered at the end of it. 

Thank you so much for reading! x


No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...