Hello there

Instagram

Monday, July 4, 2016

UK & Canary Islands Travelogue | Getting from Gran Canaria to Tenerife

I feel like one of the best things about staying in a hotel is the free breakfast the hotel provides the next morning. And I really have to say that the hotels in Canary Islands really provides decent breakfasts. It could just be that we stayed at good hotels but I would like to think that as a whole, the breakfasts there are decent. 

I also grab the whole works, bacon, eggs, baked beans, ham, tomatoes and even a bowl of cereal if I'm feeling particularly peckish and I'm glad that most of the hotels did not disappoint in the quality of their food. Just thinking about all the food makes my stomach growl.


So we checked out of the hotel in the morning, took the airport shuttle back to the airport and picked up our rental car. We got the Citroen Cactus and this was to be our moving home during the day light hours for the next few days.

The boot offers decent space for 2 large luggages and one small one. The rest of our luggages had to be piled on the back seat beside me. It was a decent sized car although the small windows made me feel as though I was caged up and we found the power of the engine lacking, especially when climbing up the steep roads in Tenerife. I am no pro when it comes to cars but just my two cents worth!


We were taking the ferry to Tenerife from Gran Canaria in the evening so we route ourselves over to Vegueta and more specifically, the Plaza de Santa Ana to spend the next few hours before our ferry ride.

We found ourselves in an indoor market with all sorts of fruits and spices on display and it was intoxicating taking in the riot of colours and scents around us.


I've never been to Spain before, at least I don't remember being there before, and I have to say that the buildings in the Canary Islands are beautiful. There's something about the different brightly coloured buildings, the little balconies, the architecture, that makes being there surreal. I wasn't the most excited about being in the Canary Islands because prior to this trip, I have never even heard of the place before but I do have to say that I didn't regret being there at all.

Also, might I just add that the shopping there was superb?


It was a really sunny day but it wasn't too hot so it was perfect for walking around the many little lanes and snapping pictures of every single thing we saw. I only wish I knew a little bit of Spanish so I could understand better everything that was happening around me.


Caught sight of the famous Cathedral de Santa Ana and it was an imposing structure indeed. I am always in awe of how beautiful cathedrals are, regardless of which country they are build in and the history behind the building of it.


After wandering around the streets for a bit, we started feeling a bit peckish so we went in search of a place to have food and we were really lucky to find this little cafe open even though it was pretty late in the afternoon.

We had sandwiches and coffee, I did not pass up a chance to have a glass of sangria, and it was really good to sit in the afternoon sun, listening to Spanish music. Also, the prices of the food was really reasonable if you did a 1 to 1 and not compare the € to SGD. Why are things so cheap overseas 

Tea (1.20€)

Coffee with Milk (1.50€)

Sangria (2.50€)

Club Sandwich (2.50€)

Ham and Cheese Baguette (2.50€)


So... I didn't know that there were two ferry terminals in Gran Canaria. We went to the wrong ferry terminal, instead of going to Agaete, we went to the one in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. We were supposed to take the 6pm ferry and we reached there at 5pm but even until 5.45pm, the ticket booth didn't open. It only opened at 6pm and when we managed to talk to the staff, we found out that we were in the wrong ferry terminal. We were lucky enough to rush to Agaete and catch the 8pm ferry, we were also blessed to be able to switch our tickets from the 6pm to the 8pm ferry without any additional cost.

So to anyone who is thinking of taking the ferry between islands in the Gran Canaria, make sure you check which ferry terminal your ferry departs from. Also, be sure to book online to ensure that there is space on the ferry for your car and reach at least an hour before your ferry departure timing to ensure that you check in and get all the details like where you are suppose to go to drive up the ferry.


I am pretty prone to feeling seasick which is why I usually avoid most water sports and water activities. Even getting to Batam is no small feat for me because of ferry ride there. So when I first heard about the fact that we would be taking the ferry to Tenerife from Gran Canaria, you can imagine that I wasn't too happy about it. 

However, when I thought about how big the ferry must be to be able to take cars aboard, I thought it would be pretty stable. Boy was I wrong. I literally couldn't wait to get off the ferry the moment it started rocking from side to side. It was so bad that all I could do was sit on the chair and moan. 


Our arrival at Tenerife couldn't come fast enough but as soon as we arrived there, we drove off the ferry and checked into Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey. It was a very fancy, very expensive hotel but I really like it. The room was warm and cozy, the beds comfy, and after a much needed shower, I literally crashed till the next morning.


Thank you so much for reading! x

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...