Hello there

Instagram

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Korea Travelogue // A Twosome Place, Bulguksa Temple, & Gyeongju National Museum

For our second day in Gyeongju, we went to have breakfast at A Twosome Place which was just outside our hotel. I've seen ATP around in Seoul during my previous trips but I've never been in one before.



We went for their breakfast sets which were all 5,000 KRW which includes a sandwich of your choice and an americano. We topped up 500 KRW for a hot latte because we don't drink americanos.


The parents went for the Tomato Egg English Muffin.


My brother and myself went for Croque Monsieur.


My sister went for a Cream Cheese Bagel (which I didn't take a photo of apparently).

What I really like about Korea is that they always give you little cup holders which make holding your takeaway drinks so much easier. They do this for cold drinks as well which is really amazing. SG, please up your game.


So our first stop of the day was to Bukguksa Temple. If you search what to do in Gyeongju, I'm pretty sure this will be on the top of any list.

Bulguksa Temple is the representative relic of Gyeongju and was designated as a World Cultural Asset by UNESCO in 1995. The beauty of the temple itself and the artistic touch of the stone relics are known throughout the world. Bulguksa Temple was built in 528 during the Silla Kingdom, in the 15th year of King Beop-Heung's reign (514-540). 

The temple was originally called ‘Hwaeom Bulguksa Temple’ or ‘Beopryusa Temple’ and was rebuilt by Kim Dae-Seong (700-774), who started building the temple in 751 during the reign of King Gyeong-Deok (in power 742-765) and completed it in 774 during the reign of King Hye-Gong (in power 765-780). Upon completion, the temple’s name was changed to ‘Bulguksa.' (Credit: x)



Bulguksa Temple
Address:
| 385, Bulguk-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do |

How to get here: 
1. From Gyeongju Intercity Bus Terminal, take Bus 10 or 11. 
2. Get off at Bulguksa Temple Bus Stop.

After visiting the temple, we went to the eateries located across the main road from the temple for lunch. Many of the passersby recommended the food there so we were pretty psyched to try it out.


My mum opted for the bibimbap (9,000 KRW).


The rest of us went for the yukgaejang (10,000 KRW). I thought the food here was pretty good! I didn't try my mum's bibimbap though.


We stopped by one of the small provision shops and I found a new love, this 17 cha! It tastes like Ayataka green tea in Singapore but with other added tastes because it contains 17 types of tea leaves inside. Super good and refreshing :>


Our next stop was the Gyeongju National Museum which we spent a few hours at looking at all the exhibits and items that were excavated from the Silla Dynasty. I think among all of us, my mum was the most enthusiastic about it. The rest of us pretty much browsed through a few of the exhibits then gave up and sat outside waiting for my mum to be done.

Gyeongju National Museum is steeped in tradition. Representing Gyeongju, which was the capital city of the Silla Kingdom (BC57~AD935), the museum is where you can view the cultural history of Gyeongju district. Exhibitions are divided into 4 large areas: the Main hall, Annex I, Annex II, and the Outdoor Exhibit Area (Museum Grounds).

In the Main Hall you can see earthenware, with various artworks and craftworks in the Arts and Crafts room. Gukeun Memorial Hall exhibits 666 artifacts, which were the personal collection of Dr. Lee Yang-Seon, donated to the museum for preservation. Artefacts from the great tombs of the city of Gyeongju are displayed in the Gobun Gallery in Annex I. There are many glittering accessories, such as golden crowns and crown ornaments, belts, earrings, etc. You will be introduced to the superb artistry of the Silla Period through these artefacts. (Credit: x)


Gyeongju National Museum
Address:
| 186, Iljeong-ro, Gyeongju-so, Gyeongsangbuk-do |

How to get here:
1. From Gyeongju Bus Terminal, take Bus 11.
2. Get off at the Museum.


Since we were pretty much done with the activities for the day, we decided to head back to the A Twosome Place cafe beside our hotel for tea.

For drinks, we ordered Orange Grapefruit Juice (6,000 KRW), Royal Milk Tea (5,500 KRW), Iced Green Tea Latte (5,300 KRW), Citron Lemon Tea (5,500 KRW).

For cakes, Royal Milk Tea Chiffon Cake (4,800 KRW), Tiramisu (5,000 KRW), and New York Cheese Cake (5,500 KRW).


After tea, we basically just went back to our rooms to rest up. My parents are people who wake up really early on a normal basis, but my siblings and I (or rather, I used to) wake up pretty late. So we were all exhausted from the early morning out.

We headed out for dinner later in the night and we chanced upon this small eatery and decided to give it a try.


We ordered Soft Tofu Stew (6,000 KRW), Gimbap (3,000 KRW), Kimchi Stew (5,000 KRW), Fried Rice wrapped in a Thin Omelette (6,000 KRW), and A bowl of rice topped with Beef (6,000 KRW). I kid you not by the way, that was the name of the food items in the menu.


It was good, the food was good. Like typical Korean comfort food? And I ended off the night with my all time favourite banana milk :> Oh how I've missed you.


And here's my vlog for day 2 in Korea! Enjoy~

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...